Traffic Division

(419) 734-4143

The Traffic Division of the Ottawa County Municipal Court handles traffic violations that have taken place within the geographic jurisdiction of this court, which is all of Ottawa County. Please review all information on both the front and back of the citation that was issued to you. The waiver schedule can be found on the "Waiver Schedule" page of this web site.

Payment Information

The court accepts payment by cash or money order. Money orders should be made payable to the Ottawa County Municipal Court. Please sign the back of your citation and mail along with your payment.

Court costs are a minimum $123.00 for violations. If you go to trial, there may be additional costs incurred for subpoenas, witness fees, etc. These fees are in addition to the minimum court costs.

"Not Guilty" Explanation

If you wish to plead not guilty you must either:

  1. Appear in court on the date and time specified on the citation and enter a verbal not guilty plea, or
  2. Enter your not guilty plea in writing by the date and time on the citation. This is normally done by an attorney, but you may do it yourself and must have the case number, your complete name and address and a phone number where you may be reached. Based on the not guilty plea the court will set a trial date and will notify you by mail of your court date.


Generally, the clerk's office may grant one extension of your original arraignment date for up to seven days.

What to Bring to Court

  • Proof of insurance for the vehicle and driver for the date shown on the ticket
  • Valid operator's license or a valid renewed license
  • Proof of vehicle ownership if car was impounded
  • Adequate funds to pay for possible fines and costs

Trial Procedures

A trial is a proceeding in which the prosecutor and/or the State of Ohio will try to convince the court that you have committed the traffic violation with which you have been charged. The prosecutor is required to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The date and time of the trial will be assigned in accordance with mandatory time requirements as provided by law. If you wish to have your case set for trial beyond these prescribed limits, you must sign and file a "time waiver".

You should arrive at court 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appearance time. Check in at the clerk's office. You will then be asked to have a seat in the courtroom until your case is called.

Please be prepared to spend several hours at court on the day that you appear. While the court makes every effort to move its docket swiftly, cases are scheduled closely together and there are often delays. Please do not bring children to court with you.

View Traffic FAQ